Excess belly fat is an issue that both men and women of any age are facing and struggling to get rid of. Losing those excess weight to your stomach area will not only make you feel more attractive and increase self-confidence, it will also benefit your overall health.
Deep visceral fat that is accommodated close to your organs is considered as the most harmful fat found in your body and presents a real threat as it can often be the cause for various metabolic syndromes. Studies have shown that visceral belly fat might be linked to several health issues such as type two diabetes and even Alzheimer’s.
Though losing excess belly fat can be challenging and hard to achieve, it can be accomplished by following a strict routine of exercises combined with a balanced diet. Furthermore, when it comes to losing those extra pounds, the key factor is to find the most suitable and effective exercises. Luckily, if you aim to burn those extra fat layers in your stomach area, you are in the right place.
We have prepared for you a list of 5 exercises that target the abdominal area but will also help you get rid of excess fat in other areas as well. Therefore, get ready to penetrate the muscles in this area and burn and reduce the extra fat!
- Crunch exercise
The crunch can be regarded as a standard abdominal exercise because it is included in almost all exercise routines that target the abs. With this exercise, you will be specifically engaging and activating the obliques and rectus abdominis.
How to do crunches
- First, start by lying flat on your back with your knees bend and your feet secured on the ground.
- Position your hands loosely behind your head, then try to crunch up by bringing your ribs cage nearer to your pelvis without pulling your head.
- Make a small two-second pause and then get back into your starting position.
- Repeat this 15-20 times.
- In case you are an absolute beginner stop with the exercise when you feel you are starting to lose your form.
- Reverse crunch
Not only will you target the lower abs with this exercise, but you will also target the muscles of your hips, lower back, and obliques.
How to do reverse crunches
- To get into the starting position first lay down flat on your back and bend your knees while keeping your legs close together.
- Your feet should be positioned flat on the floor and to ensure extra support you can put your palms next to your body.
- Now, activate your abs and lift your but and hips off the floor, then crunch your knees inward and bring them close to your chest.
- Make a small 2- seconds pause and then go back to the starting position.
- Do 15 repetitions.
- Bicycle crunch
This is also one of the more popular abs exercises that help both in the toning and strengthening the abs. However, these are not the only benefits that the bicycle crunches can bring, this amazing exercise also targets the gluteus and thighs.
This exercise requires nothing more than a yoga mat and of course the motivation to get fitter and healthier.
How to do bicycle crunches
- First, get into the starting position by laying down flat on your back and placing your arms behind your head.
- Then, lift both legs off the ground and bend them.
- Next, steadily start to bring your upper body off the ground and hold this position.
- Now, with a single motion bring your right knee towards your right elbow.
- Once done, return to the starting position and repeat the same on the opposite side.
- Try to do 12-15 repetitions per side. If this seems like too much just stop once you feel you have reached your limit.
- Russian twist
The Russian twist is a very popular exercise and this is because it engages almost all the muscles of the abdomen. This is certainly an exercise worth incorporating into your routine because it activates not only the upper and lower abs but also the lower back and obliques.
How to do the Russian twist
- To do this exercise, first, sit on the ground, bend your knees and keep your heels in proper distance from your butt.
- Next, while keeping your back straight, slowly start lowering your torso and stop once you feel your abs are fully activated.
- Position your arms in front of you and keep your hands together.
- Now, slowly start turning your torso to the left, inhale and then rotate your upper body to the left.
- Do 15 reps per side.
Additionally, we must remind you that though these exercises are effective and can help you strengthen the muscles in your abdominal area you also must pay attention to your diet to banish the extra belly fat. A healthy diet combined with regular exercise will help you boost your metabolism and naturally speed up the belly fat burning process.